Tuesday 18 February 2014

The Sacred Path of a PvE'er

Getting into PVE. 'It's too hard, I need achievements to get into raids but I cant get the achievement with getting into a raid' and 'I have no past experience I don't think any guild's will accept me' are two of the most common complaints I hear about PVE. These are just EXCUSES, although they are true to a point, you cannot give up on trying.

In these PVE blogs I will be discussing how to get into PVE content, from scratch all they way up to heroics. The Sacred Path of a PvE'er.

Today I will be discussing the choices of class to play for PVE content. As we should know there are three roles in PVE, Tank, Healer and DPS. I will briefly cover each role below:

Tank

Tanking is a role for maximising health and avoidance. These champions will be directly getting attacked by bosses and mobs 24/7. Your aim is to protect your healers and squishy DPS from direct boss damage. 
  • Protection Warrior
  • Blood Death Knight
  • Protection Paladin
  • Guardian Druid
  • Brewmaster Monk 

 Healer

A healer is a class that aims to keep everyone alive. By using spells and power they are able to heal tanks as they take massive amounts of damage, as well as DPS from non-direct boss damage. A healer maximises there spirit and intellect to keep healing for long durations.
  • Disc/Holy Priest
  • Restoration Shaman
  • Holy Paladin
  • Restoration Druid
  • Mistweaver Monk

DPS

The damage role is the most common of all three. There are two sub roles to this, Ranged and Melee. Both have the same goal but can be altered by boss mechanics. Ultimately the DPS are the guys who are killing the boss, while you have tanks distracting the boss and healers keeping everyone alive the DPS are eating away at the boss HP.
  • Arms/Fury Warrior
  • Feral/Balance Druid
  • Beast Mastery/Survival/Marksmanship Hunter
  • Arcane/Fire/Frost Mage
  • Affliction/Demonology/Destruction Warlock
  • Frost/Unholy Death Knight
  • Retribution Paladin
  • Shadow Priest
  • Assassination/Combat/Subtlety Rogue
  • Elemental/Enhancement Shaman
  • Windwalker Monk  

Every class can do multiple variations of all three roles, some can only do two of the three and some only one. Which one should you play? This is possibly the hardest question that can be asked about PVE. It is highly suggested that you try everything, unless you just love one class, nothing is great and nothing is bad. Looking at my past is a perfect example, I started out as a DPS rogue, I had heaps of fun but eventually just wanted to get a break from DPS meters and moved to Healer. Healing was also fun but after a while I didn't really feel like I had that much of an impact (I was actually topping charts for my guild but personally didn't click with healing) and in 4.3 I clicked with Tanking. I have tanked all through MoP and still going strong.

But its the end of an expansion, is there much point?

Yes! Now is the perfect time to try out all different classes and variations. Once you find your mojo or you can settle on a class then you are able to get experience in raids and use this as a key factor come WoD, the fact that you have past experience always looks good on a resume.

Next week I will be discussing about gearing up for raiding! Be sure to follow me on twitter @DollarbillsWoW and at 100 followers I will be doing a 25k gold giveaway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment